Fort Pulaski

Savannah, Georgia



Click on any of the titles in the option box below to view the photo:
Click here to view photos of the Fort Pulaski Cemetery

Fort Pulaski is located off US-80 outside Savannah, Georgia.

Fort Pulaski is owned and maintained by the National Park Service. Construction on the fort was completed in 1847, and it was built using locally made bricks. A moat surrounds the building to provide extra protection.

In April 1862 Fort Pulaski was captured by Union Major General David Hunter. He ordered the release of all slaves in the area, and many of these freed slaves joined the Union Army under the First South Carolina Colored Regiment.

In 1864 Fort Pulaski was used as a prison for 520 Confederate officers - the survivors of the "Immortal 600" who were held prisoner at Hilton Head Island. These prisoners were treated horribly by the Union soldiers who were guarding them. They suffered from starvation, dehydration, scurvy, and dysentery - they were only fed moldy cornmeal and soured pickles. Thirteen of the soldiers died at the prison; the remaining 487 were transferred to Fort Delaware a year later.

Today many people believe Fort Pulaski is haunted. Visitors and employees experience the usual cold spots and strange sounds. One of the most well known ghost sitings occurred while the movie Glory was being filmed in Savannah. Some of the Civil War reenactors visited Fort Pulaski during a break. While they were walking around, a young man in a Confederate lieutenant's uniform walked up to them. This young man began to yell at them for not saluting him, and then he ordered them to get into formation because the Yankee's were planning to attack. The reenactors didn't think he was serious, but decided to play along. They turned away from him, and when they turned back a few seconds later he had disappeared. There was no place close for him to run and hide...they couldn't explain his disappearance!



Where do you want to go? Select your destination: